Saturday 5 April 2014

Since when did being an adult become such hard work?

I know you're going to look at me and think, really? are you so young you didn't know?

But life after uni is really hard. After uni you aren't an independent learner who can spend all of their time sitting comfortably whilst reading academic articles with a cup of something nice and pondering you thoughts on them. You can't leisurely write down your ideas and formulate a coherent essay. You don't get time to yourself. Your time now equals money, and that's what it comes down to. 

I come home from work every day and I'm drained. Every minute of every day I'm questioning information, analysing conversations, making decisions, assessing risk. It never stops, and you never really get a break. And that is just exhausting. 

So is that what being an adult is about? Your job taking everything you've got, and in return you get a healthy pay packet? I have to say, I didn't see that one coming. I've been lucky enough to enjoy every job I've had, and I haven't felt exhausted, I've felt motivated. But the reality that the career path I chose will exhaust me everyday is slightly daunting. Do these things become more managable, or do the tasks and concerns or questions just vary when you start to develop a different way of analysing them? 

Being an adult sucks, and I'd like to go back to being an academic now please. 

----

Ps. Sorry for the absence. I haven't felt like doing anything when I come in from work these days, there's a lot going on over here :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment