- Brown rice, as much as you'd like
- Oil to heat spices before boiling in the rice
- Cardamon pods - I accidentally let 7 fall into the pan but I meant to put 5 in.
- Cloves - I put 2, depends how much you like
- Mustard seeds - a fair few
- Cumin seeds
- Cinnamon quill - or ground if you have that
- Black pepper corns - 3
- Lemon juice
Basically, you put all the ingredients bar the rice and lemon juice in a saucepan, let it do it's thing for a few minutes (until the mustard seeds start to pop), and then add the hot water, rice and lemon juice. LET ME SAY RIGHT NOW - The hot water WILL sizzle in the pan with the hot oil so prepare yourself, wear long sleeves and make sure you step back. I don't want any casualties!
I took my cinnamon quill out halfway through cooking because, as much as I love cinnamon, I don't want it to be the dominant flavour (that's why I don't mind about the excessive cardamon!).
Have you ever tried a recipe like this? What would you include or leave out? I'm eager to hear more!