Saturday 4 May 2013

My favourite quote

This is a difficult one for me, because (if you're a regular reader of this blog) you'll know I regularly like to pop quotes on. So to have just one favourite one.. I'm not sure. I even have a page full of quotes, so to narrow it down.. argh, I might have to have about five.

I think I'm going to go with something from Tyler Knott Gregson today. Because it has a lot of meaning to me, especially in the current circumstances I find myself.

Until I read Jenni's post I didn't realise I was supposed to explain the quote. So here goes.

This quote applies to Michael and always has done, ever since I found it over a year ago when he was just my best friend. Missing someone is a peculiar thing. I have never lost someone close to me, or someone who was a big part of my life, so I couldn't comment on things like that. But I went off to uni, and left Michael at home, and then Michael went to Basic Training in the Army whilst I was still at uni, and after he passed out he then went to his base down South (I was still at uni), and now he's in Afghanistan (and I'm still at uni, ha). And through all of that, I've missed him. Like Tyler said, even when he's right next to me I miss him. Because I know he's going to be gone again soon, so I really need to soak him up right in that moment (and boy do I).

I'm not saying that missing him is a negative thing, apart from when I haven't heard from him for days and can barely focus on anything else. But it makes me appreciate every single conversation we have, every smile I see, every laugh I hear and every embrace we share. It makes me not take things for granted; nothing is mundane, nothing is ordinary. It's all out-of-this-world special, and that's the weed turning into a flower. That's what lets me know I can get through it all, that we're stronger than that and that I'll see him on the other side. And those flowers are so worth it.

I think I just like this quote because it hints at a bad side, but highlights the good side more. And that really is how I feel. I can't hug him until July, and he can't sit and stroke my hair for a few more months. But that's okay, because I know he wants to, and when he can, it'll mean everything to me.


8 comments:

  1. Wow, I really like that. It is so beautifully written.

    Found your blog through the link up.
    Bonnie Rose | a Compass Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my dear, I feel for you. I'm 26 years old and my husband and I have done our relationship almost entirely working and living between three different countries. He has been home for a week but is leaving tomorrow, and my heart breaks every time I think about tomorrow morning. Your words explain the quote you have chosen beautiful. Much love, Vanisha xoxox

    (Some of my distance related posts are here http://vanishaslife.blogspot.com.au/search/label/16Weekends)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire your dedication, and my heart breaks for you too. I hope you stay well, I will certainly take a look, thanks for sharing :) xx

      Delete
  3. Tyler is so great!!! Love everything he does

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say that's more of a poem, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete